Republic (1993)
No votes
Get Ready (August, 2001)
No votes

Total votes : 18

A New Order?

Postby Ponyboy on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:02 am

What's everyone's favourite New Order Album? [If you have one :wink: ]

I've been listening to Brotherhood a lot lately, which is funny because back when it came out I wasn't that impressed.

I would have been in 2nd year and was really enthusiastic about guitars and really into J&MC and a lot of 60s/70s stuff. To me it sounded a bit plastic-y.

Listening to it back to back with Zoot Woman and Phoenix it sounds pretty cool now...
Stay Gold
Ponyboy
mortadella
mortadella

Postby george best on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:51 am

they're all magic

special mention for last year's soundtrack to the peter saville exhibition...not really an album however

some of their best tracks are not on the albums but power corruption and lies just gets it for me
can you hear those ringing bells?
george best
hot dog
hot dog

Postby bithead on Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:59 am

george best wrote:they're all magic

agree. uhhh probably I go for Technique or Republic as I was listen a lot in real time.(I was too young and ignorant in 80's....).

I heard a rumour that their new album will be released on this year. would be nice.
Youth is not a time of life, it's a state of mind.

http://teenagefanclub.jugem.cc/
bithead
currywurst
currywurst

Postby tomfoolery's dad on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:08 am

<stating the obvious>Not a patch on Joy Division if you ask me.</stating the obvious>

Always thought of them as more of a singles than an albums band.

For me their most complete work is definitely Technique, Run being one of my favourite tracks when I need cheering up - it soars!
The best way to waste time is to fill it. If you can read this, congratulations on your Légion d'Honneur.Image
tomfoolery's dad
Lorne Sausage
Lorne Sausage

Postby Namni Nytram on Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:00 pm

tomfoolery's dad wrote:<stating the obvious>Not a patch on Joy Division if you ask me.</stating the obvious>

Always thought of them as more of a singles than an albums band.

For me their most complete work is definitely Technique, Run being one of my favourite tracks when I need cheering up - it soars!

me too, hence me only having the best of (international, not the crap one).
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby CMS on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:40 pm

Personally, I've always considered New Order more of a "singles" band, thus I usually listen to the Best Of New Order (the one that came out in 1995). I voted for Power, Corruption, & Lies. I think it has some brilliant songs (Blue Monday, Leave Me Alone, Age of Consent). In the past, I have said Technique is the best, and I would rank it a very close second to P,C,&L. I really dig Movement simply because it's more of a "Joy Division" record and I love Joy Division.

CMS
CMS
andouillette
andouillette

Postby CMS on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:46 pm

Namni Nytram wrote:me too, hence me only having the best of (international, not the crap one).

Is that International one better?? I was pretty ticked when they released ANOTHER greatest hits package! First, Substance, then The Best Of, then Internation Best Of ... what?? Maybe I should pick it up eh?

CMS
CMS
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Namni Nytram on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:04 pm

international doesn't have any b-sides or anything, but it's up to date (though oddly there's no world in motion) and has the full, original versions of blue monday and true faith - apparently 'greatest hits' has the *new and improved* remixes of these, and so it seems to get panned in every review i've seen. and 'substance', though it looks like a pretty comprehensive package, only covers up to 1987.
"between here and that old car it's 25 paces. make them"

http://www.thisisnottv.co.uk
Namni Nytram
andouillette
andouillette

Postby george best on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:28 pm

the 'retro' box set is pretty good
can you hear those ringing bells?
george best
hot dog
hot dog

Postby CMS on Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:19 pm

Namni Nytram wrote:... and has the full, original versions of blue monday and true faith - apparently 'greatest hits' has the *new and improved* remixes of these, and so it seems to get panned in every review i've seen.

Yeah, "Blue Monday-88" is AWFUL. Hmm, I'll probably buy that just cuz I'm such a fan.... :roll:

I wasn't so keen on the "Retro" box set (which I bought)... it is an odd one cuz it's bascially four people making their own "mix CD" of New Order tunes. In a way, it's fun, but in another way, it's a waste of money. I've only listened to it a couple times. Now, that Joy Division four-disc box set is GREAT. All their stuff and even the live stuff is great.

CMS
CMS
andouillette
andouillette

Postby Steve S on Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:53 pm

I'll plump for Technique. Simply for Love Less.

(And seeing as we can't vote for Substance which has Temptation, the greatest song of all time.)
w0000000000000000000t!
Steve S
chipolata
chipolata

Postby MATT on Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:17 pm

Aye, Temptation is a cracker!!!!
Substance is a great compilation with a selection of singles and bsides.

My vote would go to Technique as well.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Re: A New Order?

Postby dougbrown93 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:30 pm

Ponyboy wrote:What's everyone's favourite New Order Album? [If you have one :wink: ]

I've been listening to Brotherhood a lot lately, which is funny because back when it came out I wasn't that impressed.

I would have been in 2nd year and was really enthusiastic about guitars and really into J&MC and a lot of 60s/70s stuff. To me it sounded a bit plastic-y.

Listening to it back to back with Zoot Woman and Phoenix it sounds pretty cool now...

Your sacked Ponyboy...theyre PISH!
:wink:

fukin Cure...New Order...fekin Flock of fekin Seagulls next wi you namby pamby fuckers....what about some Slayer? :twisted:
Hey Kids You Better Shape Up
Cos The Hits Are Always Gonna Hurt
dougbrown93
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby MATT on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:26 pm

The 2001 comeback Get Ready was not too bad also.
Ready with ready wit.
MATT
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby dogonwheels on Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:37 pm

One of my favourite bands of all time. I love every thing they have ever done so its a tricky one but I think Low Life and Technique are probably the most consistently great albums. Substance was the first one I owned. New Order are probably the biggest influence on me for turning me on to alternative stuff. Finally got to see them at Reading 98 for the first time and they were mind blowing. One of the best gigs I have ever seen. When they played World In Motion with the whole crowd singing along every hair on the back of my neck stood on end and I'm not ashamed to admit I was close to tears. Phenomenal band.
Your obsession gets you known throughout the school for being strange, making lifesize models of The Velvet Underground in clay.
dogonwheels
andouillette
andouillette

Next

Return to Message Board