My song of the Day

Postby Georgia on Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:32 pm

Song of the day is Frontier Psychatrist by the Avalanches. Been tapping my toes to this on and off all day while working. Any song with the words "...and he also made false teeth..." is OK by me.

I'm only just now really listening to this whole album, a year after my 72 year old mother, of all people, got into it. Jeeze... She made a good choice. I think she might even like this better than that copy of Howdy I got her.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby sugartune on Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:48 am

Nice, Georgia. I love the video too... Pure bizarreness. Someone played me the album once a while ago and I remember really liking it (I also kept forgetting to buy it somewhere between then and now.) The title track is great.

It's Redd Kross for me today with 'Mess Around'. Well, only because it's on a mix I'm playing now but it inevitably gets stuck in my head every time.
sugartune
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Georgia on Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:40 am

sugartune wrote:I love the video too... Pure bizarreness.

It's crazy! I love it. Kind of lo-fi looking to go with the high-fi sounding... I've only seen it a couple of times, but just channel surfed into it a week ago. So, that's what prompted me to go out and actually buy the CD. Besides, I can't have my mom having it and me not having it, can I? That ain't right.
Last edited by Georgia on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby JOHN S on Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:31 pm

My 'Song of the Day' today is the wonderful
'Lucky' by Music & Movement

I was very lucky indeed that after the BMX Bandits gig at King Tuts (which was awesome by the way) as I spoke briefly to Finlay MacDonald and told him I had visited his new web site and asked him what was happening with his new Project (called Music & Movement). He said they would be playing live in London sometime soon and were hoping to put their new CD out in the coming months. He then went into his bag and handed me a Music & Movement CD and I have to say it is really growing on me (in fact I love it) ! It is not really like TFC, more experimental with great vocals from Finlay and his wife (Lon) which sound really great together. (check out the web site @ www.musicandmovement.co.uk)
JOHN S
pepperoni
pepperoni

Postby sugartune on Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:59 am

It's crazy! I love it. Kind of lo-fi looking to go with the high-fi sounding... I've only seen it a couple of times, but just channel surfed into it a week ago. So, that's what prompted me to go out and actually buy the CD. Besides, I can't have my mom having it and me not having it, can I? That ain't right.

The turtleman (I will just call him that) part trips me out each time! Your mom hasn't seen the video, has she?

John, that is pretty 'Lucky' (ha ha, er...) you've got the CD. I've heard a clip of that song on the site; it was far too short but sounded lovely. I'm looking forward to the CD coming out. I think they're putting some full mp3s online soon... I hope.
sugartune
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Sonia on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:48 am

My hubby read a Hendrix biography recently so that's been the homefront sounds for a few days. However, I heard the Winstons' "Color Him Father" on the drive home last night and it's been playing in my head. Beyond that the three-day client "leadership" conference I just attended used "Getting Better" as the theme so I've heard it like, 50 times and I promise it's not getting better. Not at all. Could be why they muted the "can't get no worse" because, you see, it can. Right. I'll go have another drink now.
Sonia
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Georgia on Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:04 am

The turtleman (I will just call him that) part trips me out each time! Your mom hasn't seen the video, has she?

I HOPE not. If she tells me she's into that too, I give up!

Beyond that the three-day client "leadership" conference I just attended used "Getting Better" as the theme so I've heard it like, 50 times and I promise it's not getting better.

Sonia, isn't this some kind of cruel and unusual punishment? Apart from driving you nuts, they are using the Beatles to do it. That oughta be against the law or something. Talk about corporate crime.
Georgia
mortadella
mortadella

Postby JOHN S on Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:15 pm

My 'song of the day' today is :- Alone Again Or by LOVE
One week till the show at the Queens Hall ! :D
JOHN S
pepperoni
pepperoni

today

Postby duglas on Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:51 am

Women of the World composed by Ivor Cutler performed by Jim O'rourke.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby ally on Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:04 am

mine is 'don't wanna know why' by whiskeytown. that and 'thirteen' by big star.
ally
hot dog
hot dog

Postby Fritz agrandold on Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:49 am

Best song I heard today was "The wheel's on the bus go round and round" by my son (aged nearly 3). Never knew all the words until today.. made me smile anyway.

Fritz
Fritz agrandold
chipolata
chipolata

Postby jim on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:43 am

:D That made me smile to Fritz. I'm going to send down Johnathan Richman doing 'wheels on the bus' for the wee man.(But I'm sure he'll still prefer the tweenies version) when i'm sending those cd's. :D

My songs for today is the Bill Janovitz 'Up Here' solo album.

Jim
jim
chipolata
chipolata

Postby Andy C on Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:57 am

"(Fuck It) Why Go Halfway?" by Hamell On Trial

yep, it's gonna be one of those sorts of days
Andy C

Wheels and stuff

Postby duglas on Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:45 pm

Wheels on the Bus (Jonathan Richman's version) was part of the album, Rock 'N' Roll with the Modern Lovers, that made me decide I wanted to make music. There are plenty great tunes that are meant to be for kids...
good taste.
:twisted: My song for the day is a beautiful twisted ballad from the incredibly undervalued and heroic Scottish songwriter MOMUS. This is a seriously great song.
DUGLAS
duglas
currywurst
currywurst

Postby Rick.N.Baker on Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:54 pm

I really loved that innocent childlike way that Jonathon Richman wrote his songs, Hey there little dinosaur/aeroplane, Ice cream man, Rollercoaster and all that, it felt really refreshing to listen to. A few years back I got to meet Jonathon and we had a chat and some photos together and I was quite dissapointed in him, he was quite egotistical and rather aloof, not what I expected but then I should never have had expectations I guess, it's just that you get a picture of how you think someone is from their songs, and they are never like that picture, or very rarely.

Would I like you if I met you Duglas? I mean we both like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang right?
There is only one problem with the younger generation. Many of us no longer belong to it!

http://www.myspace.com/rick_n_baker
Rick.N.Baker
currywurst
currywurst

PreviousNext

Return to Message Board